I Have Finished My Course

Hey Everyone,

So finally, one day short of my two year mark, I finally got to have the true Maryland Crab experience. Ashley took us out, along with her roommate and her roommate's dad, and we went to a little hole in the wall in Essex to get crabs, and they were amazing. The first one was a little gross because they just give you the whole crab and you have to fish out the meat. But after tasting it, breaking it open and removing the organs was well worth it.

I also got to go on two exchanges, both with missionaries who go home next transfer, and both of which I've known since my third and fourth transfer. And one of them was a Spanish exchange, so I only understood about 5-9% of what was being said. 

As my mission comes to a close I've been pondering on Paul's final testimony in 2 Timothy 4:6-7: "For I am now ready to be offered, and the time of my departure is at hand.
I have fought a good fight, I have finished my course, I have kept the faith." While I am not expected to give my life for the Gospel of Jesus Christ, I do feel a special connection with Paul. So many things that he says over his epistles have resonated with me and helped me to further understand my Savior and the love that he and my Father in Heaven have for me.

Over the course of my mission, I've had 17 transfers, 15 companions, 8 areas across 6 zones, 5 stakes, and 3 states. I met people from every continent (excluding Antarctica) and learned about their cultures and how they worship. But most importantly, I have come to know that Jesus is the Christ, that he successfully lived a perfect life, suffered for us individually in Gethsemane and on the Cross of Calvary, and that he rose from the dead on that first Easter Morn, nearly 2000 years ago. I know that our Heavenly Father loves us individually and unconditionally, regardless of our past or present circumstances, and I feel that I am able to say alongside Paul that I have finished my course, I have fought the good fight, and that I have kept the faith.

-Elder Howell

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Pictures Sept. 25, 2017

South Carolina

Arriving at the MTC